Ordering Icelandic Lamb For The Table
Why order from Big Ash Farm?
1. When you buy lamb from Big Ash farm you know your meat was raised with love, care and concern from the moment it arrived on this earth to the moment it departs. We feel strongly that it's our responsibility to give the animals we consume nothing but the best - individual attention every day, plentiful good food to eat, cool clear water to drink, safety from predators, comfortable shelter from the elements and room to roam all day, every day!
2. Our sheep are raised is our pasture their entire lives, supplemented with hay when needed (from the neighboring fields). Alfalfa is their treat along with veg' from Big Ash Farm's garden! In addition to the health benefits associated with pasture raised, grass fed meat you know they had roamed pasture their entire lives! (absolutely no small bare pen for our flock!)
3. There is little to no waste - most everything is put to good use! If you do not want bones for stock (YUM!) or the not as popular parts (dehydrated liver is a big treat for dogs) we will put them to good use for you! Sheepskins provide comfort and skulls/horns are used for home decorating by those who fancy that style.
4. You're buying local and from a small farm. And we partner with local and small businesses and farmers too! There are so many reasons to buy local and small. We aren't just a farm or a small business - we truly are your neighbors.
why icelandic lamb?
For the TASTE! Icelandic lamb is considered a gourmet variety of lamb as it is finer grained and much more mild than other common meat breeds. It's not uncommon for someone who has not liked lamb in the past to change their mind after trying Icelandic lamb!
You also support a wonderful breed of sheep when enjoying Icelandic lamb on your table! Icelandic sheep are a primitive breed which are wonderful providers of not only tasty meat but wool and milk!
HOW do i order a lamb?
1. Make your reservation today ($50 deposit)! You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call or text us at 303-908-5863. We offer lamb by the whole or the half.
2. Confirm your processor/process date. We like Arapahoe Meats which is just down the road from the farm and have a number of appointments already booked for 10/24/18 and 10/25/18. If you prefer an alternate processor just let us know when your appointment is (it must be within the October time frame) and with whom and we will deliver (within a reasonable distance).
3. Provide payment to Big Ash Farm. We will let you know the final weight, price and tag number for your lamb shortly before processing day (see below for 2018 dates). Delivery to the processor will be made after payment for the lamb is made in full. We accept the following payment methods:
Paypal: paypal.me/bigashfarm (email@example.com)
Cash App: $bigashfarm
Cash (give us a shout and we'll coordinate a date/time to meet up!)
3. On your assigned processing date, reach our to Arapahoe Meats (or your processor of choice) to let them know how you'd like your meat prepared and packaged! There's a standard/default approach you can always default to but you have the option of getting more creative! For example you can specify how thick you want your chops cut, how many steaks per package you prefer, if you like some meat made into sausage, etc.
4. Pick up your meat from the processor on the date indicated by the processor. When you pick your meat, you will pay the processing fee to the processor directly. As of 7/14/18 the standard processing fee is $85 for a whole at Arapahoe Meats which includes grinding and wrapping, etc. Your meat will be frozen and in bundles of wrapped packages ready for you to transport to your freezer! Half orders will be charged half of the processing fee only.
what to expect
Tasty goodness! Seriously. You're going to love it!
The weight of the meat you pick up from the processor will be less than the weight on which payment was based because it will not include bones and other trimmings that are set aside for alternate uses during the butchering process. Arapahoe Meats has a great page on this with a guide on how much meat you can expect to receive HERE.
prices and key dates for 2018
$2.99/pound live weight (post shearing).
Buyer responsible for processing costs.
Lambs weighing ~70 - 100 lbs this year.
October 21, 2018: Final weights and your specific processing date will be sent to you
October 23, 2018: payment to Big Ash Farm due
October 24 - 25 2018:
Delivery of lamb to processor
Call Arapahoe Meats on your assigned processing day to give processing preferences. Their number is (303) 673-9165 .